Scholarship announcements are delayed for two reasons:
- There were lots of people who applied at the last minute and currently are under review.
- We are waiting for confirmation from additional new sponsors who will be funding scholarships
Letters should be sent out a few days after April 22nd. We know many of you are anxiously awaiting news and it's our goal to let you know as soon as possible. Our apologies for any inconvenience.
-- phoebe (brassratgirl)/talk 06:25, 21 April 2007 (UTC), on behalf of the scholarships team
The Wikimedia Foundation, the official organizer of Wikimania 2007 Taipei, is offering a limited number of scholarships to help attendees defray part of the costs of attending Wikimania 2007.
All applications for the scholarship will be reviewed by the Wikimania 2007 Scholarship Committee. Criteria for selecting recipients are determined by the Committee, in accordance with the goals and focus areas of Wikimania and Wikimedia. It is our goal to make Wikimania 2007 Taipei successful and productive, and to support the success of Wikimedia projects.
Although every attempt will be made to assist as many people as possible, the number of scholarships is limited. Attendees are therefore strongly encouraged to seek funding from other sources as well.
- Deadline is extended: The original deadline was April 1, 2007. The new deadline is April 15, 2007 to ensure that the scholarship announcement can reach all Wikimedia communities. A confirmation email will be sent to each applicant within 5 calendar days upon receipt of the application.
- Announcements: it is anticipated that the selection of scholarship recipients will be completed by April 22, 2007. At that time, an email will be sent to every applicant indicating whether they are awarded a scholarship or not. If a very large number of applications is received right before the deadline, it may delay the decision-making process. Please apply early!
Applicants may request scholarship support on the following expenses to attend Wikimania 2007 Taipei:
- Air travel (pre-paid economy-class ticket at the lowest fare available, from the nearest international airport)
Generally non-eligible expenses
For simplicity and efficiency of the application and registration processes, request for support on the following expenses are strongly DISCOURAGED and will be honored only in extreme cases (for example, applicants from low-income locations where GNI per capita was less than US$3000 PPP in 2005 ):
- Registration fee for Wikimania 2007 (includes access to all sessions, breakfast and lunches; estimated at US$10-20 per day)
- Accommodation for the conference duration (a 2-, 4- or 6-person shared room is about US$20-30 per night per person; discount may be offered by Wikimania 2007 for the conference duration if budget allows.)
- Daily allowance for the conference duration (a modest living allowance level is estimated at the equivalent of US$5 per day)
- Local transportation (shuttle bus from Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (TPE) to conference site will be arranged by the conference organizers and probably offered free to groups of conference participants, otherwise the individual one-way bus/transit fare is ~US$4.)
In all cases individuals will be required to cover the cost of their hotel incidental expenses, meals, visa applications and any optional extra expenses (for example, travel insurance).
Preference for partial support
Please note that the level of support requested may not be the level of support granted. Full scholarships will only be awarded in a limited number of cases. Decisions about whether a full or partial scholarship will be awarded will be decided by the Scholarship Committee. To give more people a chance to get scholarships, applications for partial support are preferred.
- Registered user at a Wikimedia project who has an existing user page created before 2/15/2007.
- Applications have now closed.
- Please fill out the application form. All applications must include a fully completed form!
The Scholarship Committee may be reached by leaving comments on the talk page of this page, or by emailing email@example.com.
We require some of your personal information to process your application for the scholarship. This is kept highly confidential by the Coordinator of Wikimania 2007 Scholarship Committee and the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., and will not be used for any other purpose.